Here a egg, there a egg, everywhere egg, egg. And why not? Eggs are delicious, cheap, nutrient packed and can add rich flavors to about any dish, be it savory or dessert. Recent research has cleared egg’s reputation marred with them allegedly containing bad cholesterol, and proved that eggs indeed are a much healthier option than counter bought breakfasts and white flour or red meat products we consume in their lieu to make up for flavor, texture and protein in our breakfasts.
Eggs are a great source of protein and have an abundance of other minerals and vitamins like zinc and iron, antioxidants lutein and zeaxanthin, vitamin D, that help in strengthening hair and the brain-boosting chemical choline and will keep you feeling energized during your fast. For your convenience we have compiled some easy and quick egg-licious recipes so you can enjoy a scrumptious and fulfilling Sehri.
- Fluffy Scrambled Eggs
Can never go wrong, always taste great. You won’t feel like you have overeaten, won’t cause acidity and taste great with toast or topped with olives.
- 3 large eggs
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons (30ml) milk (optional; Milk will make slightly richer, moister eggs, but is not required.)
- Substitute milk with 1 tablespoon of cream
- 1/2 tablespoon (8g) unsalted butter
- Freshly ground black or white pepper
In a small bowl, beat eggs with salt.
In a nonstick skillet, melt butter over medium-high heat until foamy. Add eggs and cook, stirring, until large, fluffy curds form and eggs are fully cooked through, about 3 minutes. Season with pepper and serve.
- Menemen (Turkish-Style Scrambled Eggs with tomatoes, chillies and Onions)
Salan kei bagair gozara nahi huta bhai, (Can’t do without a savory gravy) is something I can personally relate to and with long hours of fasting, satisfying your cravings is a must. For the spice lovers, this recipe of scrambled eggs is perfect. Enjoy it with a side of crusty whole-wheat bread.
- 3 tablespoons (45ml) extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon hot paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano (optional)
- 1 small onion, finely diced (about 3/4 cup)
- 3/4 cup finely diced Chinese green long pepper
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped peeled ripe fresh tomatoes or drained canned tomatoes
- 4 eggs, lightly beaten
- Minced fresh chives, for garnish (optional, you can use parsley too)
In a medium nonstick iron skillet or nonstick frying pan, heat olive oil over low heat until barely warm. Add paprika, oregano, onion, and peppers. Season with salt and a very generous amount of black pepper.
Cook the spices, pepper and onion until it turns soft and the spices leave the oil, about 8 minutes. . Add tomatoes and continue to cook, stirring frequently, until deepened in color. Remove half of mixture and reserve.
Return pan to heat and add beaten eggs. Season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring frequently, until eggs are just barely set.
Immediately remove from heat and gently fold in reserved vegetable mixture. Sprinkle with chives, if using, and serve immediately.
- Mini Egg and Pita Pizzas
Ab kee na kaam ki baat (Now we’re talking). Imagine how good a combo of pizza and eggs would taste? Simply amazing, we can vouch for that.
- 8oz turkey sausages. You can use the sausages from Deline or use their mortadello slices.
- 6 eggs lightly beaten
- ½ cup pizza sauce
- 4 whole wheat pita breads
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella or cheddar
Heat oven to 450°F.
Now coming to the actual work. Add a tablespoon of olive oil. Cook the sausages over medium heat, breaking into crumbles, until they turn brown and are cooked through.
Pour the beaten eggs over sausage in skillet. As eggs begin to set, gently turn the eggs across the pan with an inverted turner, forming large soft curds. Keep cooking the eggs in the same manner – pulling, lifting and folding eggs – until thickened and some visible liquid egg remains. Do not stir constantly. Do not overcook.
Now move to the preheated oven. Spread 2 Tbsp. pizza sauce on each pita bread. Then place on baking sheet(s). Top the pita breads with the partially cooked eggs and cheese, dividing evenly. Bake in 450°F oven until cheese is melted, about 5 minutes. Top with oregano for a tantalizing scent.
- Baked Eggs with Spinach and Cheese
Two yummy and healthy things with cheese in one dish, yes please!
- 500g baby spinach
- 3 tablespoons (45g) unsalted butter, divided
- 8 ounces (225g) button or cremini mushrooms, stems trimmed and caps sliced
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 2 leeks, white and light green parts only, washed well and thinly sliced (about 9 ounces; 250g total)
- 3 medium cloves garlic, 2 minced or grated and 1 left whole for toast, divided
- 2 tablespoons (45g) all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup cream
- 3/4 cup (120ml) milk
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 2 teaspoons (10ml) Dijon mustard
- 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 3/4 cup grated Gruyère cheese (2 1/2 ounces; 75g) (Substitute with Mozzarella or Cheddar)
- 4 to 6 large eggs
- Pinch of red chili flakes, for garnish
- 4 to 6 slices toasted and buttered bread, such as from a baguette, or your typical brawn bread
Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C). Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Workings in batches, if necessary, add spinach to pot and cook for 1 minute. Using a spider or strainer, lift the spinach from water and transfer to a strainer bowl or another porous container. Now run the cooked spinach under cold water to prevent it from getting overcooked
In a large skillet, melt 1 tablespoon (15g) butter over medium-high heat until foaming. Add mushrooms and cook for about 6 minutes until they turn golden brown. Season with salt and pepper, then transfer to a plate.
Add remaining 2 tablespoons (30g) butter to skillet and melt over medium-high heat until foaming. Add the leeks and cook them until they soften. Make sure not to brown them yet. Stir in minced garlic and cook 30 seconds. Sprinkle flour over leeks and cook, stirring, until the raw smell of flour has cooked off and the flour starts turning a delicious golden brown color. Add the cream.
Careful not to burn the flour.
Add the milk now, stirring while you do so. Bring to a simmer and cook until sauce thickens, 1 to 2 minutes. Stir in vinegar, nutmeg, mustard, reserved mushrooms, and the spinach, Return to a simmer. Season with salt and pepper. Remove skillet from heat. If mixture is very thick, add a bit more water or milk to thin slightly
You should have about 4 cups of creamed spinach.
Now sprinkle your cheese of choice on top of the creamed spinach into an even layer.
Using a spoon, make egg-sized indentations in greens, one for each egg. Crack an egg into each well and season with salt. Bake until egg whites are just set and yolks are still runny, 10 to 20 minutes. Check eggs frequently to make sure they don’t overcook. Remove from oven and sprinkle a pinch of red chili flakes over each egg.
Heat the bread over a flat pan. While toast is still warm, gently rub one side of each slice with remaining clove of garlic. Serve, using toast to scoop the creamy spinach and eggs. Enjoy!
- Baked Eggs with Cheese and Tomato Sauce
I know, I know. A lot of cheese going on in here, but hang on, this pizza-ey goodness is healthy as it is delicious.
- ½ small yellow or orange bell pepper, seeded and thinly sliced
- ½ yellow onion, thinly sliced
- 1 15-oz can diced roasted tomatoes (you can use pizza sauce or just tomato puree)
- 3 cloves of garlic minced
- 2 oz crumbled feta (you can very use cream cheese or cottage cheese)
- 4 eggs
source: Cecily McAndrews Pinterest
Preheat your oven to 375°F. Place 2 small, shallow baking dishes on a rimmed baking sheet.
Take a tablespoon of olive oil in a medium skillet and warm it over medium heat.
Toss the bell pepper and onion when the oil warms. Sprinkle with salt and pepper and cook, stirring, until tender, about 6 minutes. Now add the tomatoes, garlic and simmer 3 minutes until slightly thickened. Quickly remove from heat and distribute evenly in the two baking dishes.
Sprinkle the cottage cheese or cream cheese on each dish (about 2 Tbsp per dish), then gently crack 2 eggs into each. Place baking sheet with dishes in oven. Cook about 15 minutes, until whites are just set.
Enjoy your scrumptious egg fixes. We could have just chosen omelets but where’s the fun in that?